Christmas Goodies 1: 2013 Mahoroba Film Gossip
Let me start with a 2ch report from someone who was at the event where this new film was announced. According to this person, the plot of the new film will run like this:
1) The universe is under attack by the Metanoids.
2) A Combined Fleet of several races is established to deal with the threat.
3) The Mahoroba becomes the flagship for the fleet.
4) The Combined Fleet is composed of 9 members, including the Earth Federation, the Gamilas and the Mazone.
5) The Metanoids come from another dimension, and the gods of Valhalla are somehow involved in this.
Wow. I had already read something about Dessler being somehow involved in this film, but I totally dismissed it as unlikely. If this is true and there are Gamilas and Mazone in the film, then my theory that Leiji is deliberately “going for it” is doubly and triply confirmed. The Mazone from SPCH in particular are so hallowed they didn’t even show up in other Harlock shows! The fact that they’re here would be of tremendous importance (not to mention how awesome it would be!!)
Point # 5 makes sense from the standpoint of the Ring of the Nibelungs manga: the Metanoids first invade our universe under the command of Valhalla’s Wotan, although we eventually find out that they have their own ruler (the Dark Queen) and their own plans for domination, and these plans do not include any respect for Wotan. So this in itself is not a surprise, but to have this plotline and Mazone and Yamato elements is…well, it’s gotta be, the big one.
I wonder what’s going on with the Yamato copyright battles that Matsumoto is now free to do all of this?!
There’s also a report of the event [here] which is mostly photographs but I’ve culled the important tidbits. Thus:
1. The role of Yo Haguro will be played by Keiko Han [she’s done various Leiji works, for example she voiced Yayoi Yukino in both versions of Queen Millennia]
2. Leiji Matsumoto personally reviewed and revised all the character and mecha designs so they are as close to what they should be as possible [amazing, considering the designers are both men who have worked with Leiji for years!]
3. The film will see many characters from Matsumoto’s works so far coming together [YES!]
4. The message that Leiji wants to convey in this film is that we must all work together to save Earth (global warming etc.) without regards to nationality [this reminds me of his thoughts on Venus, I wrote about this earlier this week]