50 Questions, Answered
A couple of bloggers on my reader filled this out. The original is [here].
1. Who is your favorite male anime character?
I’d love to get some beers and shoot the bull with Ryoji Kaji (Neon Genesis Evangelion). He is as cool as they come.
2. Who is your favorite female character?
Anthy Himemiya (Revolutionary Girl Utena). She is…unique.
3. What is your favorite anime soundtrack?
Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV) is great. Also, the Panty & Stocking soundtrack. Go Gainax.
4. What is your favorite anime opening + animation?
Space Symphony Maetel, because it speaks to me (maybe I am a time-traveling blonde trapped in a man’s body). Last Exile and Serial Experiments Lain have great OPs too.
5. What is your favorite anime ending song + animation?
I can’t really think of an absolute favorite, but Gun Frontier is definitely up there.
6. What is your favorite anime scene?
Utena’s duel with Juri (Revolutionary Girl Utena episode 7 I think). You can’t top that, though you can match it with, for example, Asuka vs. the Masspro Evas in End of Evangelion, or the World War II flashback in Arcadia of my Youth.
7. If you could meet an anime character who would it be?
The truth is that I’d rather meet Leiji Matsumoto over any character, but I can still answer this question properly because the man is an anime character in many of his shows. But I’d only choose him if he was willing to answer my questions. Otherwise I’d go with Maetel. Maetel won’t answer my questions either, but she’s way prettier than Leiji.
8. What anime character is most similar to you in terms of personality?
Jung-Freud (Gunbuster) for you see, on paper I’m more qualified than my rivals in life and yet they always beat me in the end but instead of taking it badly I just smile and trudge along. Paper isn’t real life, friends, and both Jung and I know this. Or maybe I’m just a space-traveling redhead trapped in a man’s body.
9. What is your favorite thing about anime?
The creativity. I explained this [here].
10. What is your least favorite thing about anime?
How the seasons get so dominated by trends, whatever those trends might be at the time. In other words, how the Japanese make a mockery of my response to # 9.
11. Who are your favorite anime couple?
Baron Ashura (Shin Mazinger Z). Words cannot express…
12. Who is your favorite anime animal?
Tori (Space Captain Harlock and others). From his antics in the Otoko Oidon manga I learned to seize the day, except that in his case instead of carpe diem it’s carpe testiculum.
13. What anime would make a good game?
If they sat down and seriously tried to make a proper game out of it, the Transformers franchise would rock the gaming world. Sadly, the stuff I’ve seen is pretty crappy.
14. What game would make a good anime?
Final Fantasy VII. I’ve never seen the Advent Children film though.
15. What was the first anime you ever watched?
Mazinger Z (the original one).
16. Do you think you’ll ever stop watching anime?
No, as long as there’s anything decent to watch. And I am optimistic.
17. What is your favorite genre of anime?
In theory, shojo.
18. What is your least favorite genre of anime?
In practice, shonen.
19. Are you open about watching anime with people you know?
20. Have you ever been to Japan?
I lived there but I left. Life in Japan is like an anime, but not necessarily the kind of anime you want to star in, as tATu found out ten years ago:
21. What anime was the biggest letdown for you?
22. What anime was better then expected?
The Jewel Pet franchise is actually very good. Too bad no one streams or subs it or shares it anymore.
23. What is the best anime fight scene?
See # 6.
24. Who is your anime waifu?
Anthy. I don’t have one.
25. What was your favorite video game as a child?
Does Galaga count? Ha ha ha ha!
26. Most Embarrassing moment?
Many a zipper down at inappropriate moments.
27a. Can you drive?
27b. Do you own a car?
28. Are you mature?
No. Look around my site.
29. What year were you born?
30. Do you prefer cats or dogs?
Depends on the breeds involved. Longhair cats are full of fail, that’s for sure.
31. Describe yourself physically.
A regular guy, the guy next door. But not the one that turns out to be a psychopathic killer.
32. What would you name your first child?
I wouldn’t come up with a name before the child was on the way, and even if I was thinking of a name I couldn’t tell you.
33. What is the worst injury you have ever had?
I have almost died a few times, but never from injuries. I rarely get cut or wounded.
34. What is your worse habit?
I don’t care about things that other people care about, and this exasperates them.
35. Do you drink or smoke?
Seldom and seldom.
36. Do you have a tattoo?
Yes, one to match my birth-year.
37. Are you a morning person or a night person?
38. Have you ever slept past midday?
Sure, but very rarely. I’d rather wake up at 10, stay awake for a few hours and then go back to sleep.
39. Do you regret anything?
Watching Tengen Toppa all the way to the end expecting it to get good at some point.
40. Can you count the number of friends you have on one hand?
I could be a Care Bear and still count the number of friends I have on one hand.
41. Do you wear glasses?
42. Are you a picky eater?
Ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!! Good one.
43. Would you die for someone?
In theory, yes. We’ll have to wait and see how it works in practice though.
44. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Mind control would make life so much easier.
45. Do you believe in the supernatural?
No. I believe in the lottery though.
46. Would you rather be rich or famous?
See # 45.
47. Have you ever committed a crime.
Yes, but nothing that would be illegal if I possessed the supreme authority.
Time Traveler or ghost?
49. Does someone have a crush on you?
Several people, maybe.
50. Are you in a relationship?
Yes. There’s a picture of me and my wife [here].